Afua Sam is a remarkable professional, a tenacious fashion designer and the Founder/Owner of The A CONCEPT by Afua Sam and STUDIO D’MAXSI DESIGNS, two of the most notable fashion design houses in the Washington DC metropolitan area, dedicated to making unique designs for the modern day sexy, classy, funky, chic and confident woman. A Ghanaian native, her achievements in the fashion and design industry have made her a pacesetter with amazing contributions, featuring a brand of elegant yet edgy collections and have gained her diverse clientele from everyday people to celebrities.
A multiple award winning and highly sought-after Ghanaian fashion designer, the journey taken by Afua Sam in the design industry started more than 20 years ago learning how to sew with an inborn creativity. Motivated by the desire to become global expert in her field, Afua Sam leveraged the wisdom of her Ghanaian culture and pushed herself to her fullest potential. Drawing her creative artistic gene from her parents (late), Afua Sam attributes her background to be one of her many inspirations for the creation of her designs.
A self-taught industry professional and celebrated for her invaluable uniqueness, innovativeness, and edgy fashion designs; Afua Sam’s gowns are worn in Hollywood, and across the globe in the midst of her distinctive accomplishment. Even then, she remains a gentle spirit who is true to her values.
She has made numerous TV appearances here in the USA and abroad. WUSA9 news FOX5DC news, Good Day Baltimore, ABC7 News, Living Social DMV and FOX45 Baltimore among others.
And recent Media appearances in Ghana are, METRO TV Show Biz Entertainment, GHONE TV, Xpressive, AgooTV, ASSASE Radio and JOY FM 99.7 .
With deep industry knowledge, coupled with an analytical, detail-oriented approach, Afua Sam is equipped to understand the needs of the most discerning clients, delivering an experience rooted in customer service, integrity and expertise. Her strong creative and design skills make her a keen advocate for clients, proactively seeking out new opportunities to enhance her services and continually attain excellence, with client satisfaction the ultimate objective.
In 2021 Afua was named by C-HUB Magazine in LONDON, as one of 100 most INFLUENTIAL CREATIVE people. Tropics Magazine named Afua Sam Top 500 most influential Africans in the world 2021. She was inducted into the DC HALL OF FAME DESIGNERS 2019 by DC FASHION Week. LIT IN DC HONOREE 2019. Also, in 2018, Afua Sam of STUDIO D’MAXSI was mentioned by the Global Icon and Hall of Fame CMO Miss Bozoma Saint John, in the Essence magazine as one of her favorite designers alongside other renowned designers.
In addition to her fashion, Afua has added Actress to her name. Afua Sam stared as herself in “THE POLITICS OF FASHION DC UNBOXED “Produced and written by Elaine Mensah. In 2019 a short documentary was made about Afua Sam. Filmed and produced by Jerald Council.
Afua has also worked with some talented celebrity stylist Like Joy Kingsley Ibeh,Michele Lopez,Maggy Francoi, Lana Rae,Germanee G,Logan Renee Just to name a few.
Afua Sam designs has been seen on magazine covers, featured in Essence, WWD. Marie Clair, DistrictFRAY,DC Luxury, Glamour, C Hub, Washington Post and more. Afua recently worked with “The Washington Performing Art” at The Kennedy Center In celebration of Dr Matin Luther King by”Children of The Gospel Choir”
Afua Sam’s designs was Feature recently Baltimore Met Gala 2023 ,FOX5DC as part of the Black Panther 2 Movie Premiere talking about “BLACK PANTHER 2 WAKANDA FOREVER” and AFRICAN FASHION. She was also on ABC7 Talking about Ghanaian Culture at the “ DC CULTURA FASHION SHOW”
Afua Sam designs has been seen on all types of A List events. Her collections have gained her a diverse clientele from everyday people to celebrities for major events such as the The Color Purple World Premiere in Hollywood, Astra Film Awards LA,Oscars, Grammys, DayTime Emmys, BET, BET Honors; Ebony 100 Most Influential People, Black Panther 2 Wakanda Forever Red Carpet Premiere,
IMAGE awards, Black Panther 1 Hollywood Premiere, GUBA Awards “GUBAYA21”, Ghana, GUBA Awards USA, music videos and TV Shows, has also been a judge on the Ms. Ghana USA beauty pageant over the years, Miss Africa USA Panel of judges. just to name a few.
A humanitarian to the core, Afua Sam believes that her success and achievements are not complete until she’s had the chance to influence the lives of others, especially young children and women. It is for this reason she founded Afua’s Foundation with a mission to empower women and young people. The foundation’s first major initiative known as “Operation Prom”, seeks to make prom a memorable event for a very special high school senior. Afua personally designs a prom dress to be worn by a deserving senior.
Afua has also been part and supported charitable fashion events like The “Powerful 7 4Years in a role”Fashion events , One Sparrow, GNO by ShawnYancy, SHADE by Philantropik, IHeart Health Expo, 2 years in a role,Fashion For PAWS,2years in a role,Steps to the Cure,3Years in a role.Generosity Ball, Pink For Africa, Rise Against cancer, The Steve Smith Family Foundation for Domestic Violence, America Breast Cancer Foundation, Tiger Lilly Foundation, Fashion Fusion, Fashion for World Peace, Runway Mom for a CAUSE, Pink Jams, Beyond Words Fashion Show For The ‘Lollipop Kids Foundation’, etc.
Using her skills to help those whose lives would be enriched by it.
Afua Sam’s brand’s mission is to “Be as Bold as You Can Be but Very Chic and Sexy at the Same Time”. She believes her life’s story is a perfect example of what can happen when one is not afraid to go after their dreams regardless the odds.
*2023 Innovative Creatives In Around DC AREA By District Fay Magazine
*2023 Recipient of SNMM HOREE For Direct and InDirect Commitment to Community,. Excellence and the Highest Standards of Ethical Conduct,Integrity,,Civic and Social. Responsibility.
• 100 MOST CREATIVE PEOPLE by C HUB MAGAZINE LONDON 2021
• Tropics Magazine named Afua Sam Top 500 most influential Africans in the world 2021
• Outstanding Women Of The Year 2021. Fashion Road LONDON
• Designer Of The Year 2021.Fashion Road LONDON
• CUBA AWARDS Top Five Nominee 2019 CREATIVE INFLUENCE
. • Ayoo Magazine Top Ten DC AWARD 2020
• LIT IN DC 2019 HONOREE
• HALL OF FAME HONOREE 2019 BY DCFW
• 2018 DIVAS OF COLOR. Diva designer of the year LONDON.
• 2017/2018 C-HUB Female DESIGNER of THE YEAR
• BEST BRAND OF THE YEAR 2017 LONDON
• DIVAS OF COLOR Designer of the year 2017 LONDON.
• 100 MOST CREATIVE PEOPLE by C HUB MAGAZINE LONDON 2017
• 2016 C-HUB Creative Award. Female Designer of the year, LONDON.
• 2015 Repyogrind Award Top 5 Nominee
• 2014 High Fashion Designer Award at Fashion Awards MD (DMV)
• 2014 Design Challenge Winner at the American Breast Cancer Foundation Event
• 2013 African Fashion Designer of the Year at African Fashion Awards USA, ATL
• 2013 Trendy Africa Magazine Mothers Appreciation Event (TAMMAE) Honoree
• 2013 High Fashion Designer Award Nominee at Fashion Awards MD
• 2012 High Fashion Designer Award Nominee at Fashion Awards MD
• 2012 ‘Fashion’ and ‘Commitment to Community Service’ FEST AFRICA Awards Signed by Senator Barbara Mikulski
• 2011 Top 10 Afrikan Goddess of the Year by Afrikan Goddess Online
• 2011 Dedication, Creativity and Commitment to Excellence Award, in the Metro Area
• by Council Magazine
• 2011 Top 10 Designers to Watch DC Metropolitan, Council Magazine
• 2009 ‘Excellence in the Fashion Industry’ Couture Designer Award by 3G Magazine
• 2007 ‘Outstanding African Woman in the Arts’ Couture Fashion Designer Award by Celebrating African Motherhood Organization (CAM)